Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Radiology #5 Synovial Chondromatosis

It has been quite awhile since I have updated my blog, so as I am sitting in clinic in between patient visits, I think I will take some time to educate the masses! This radiology blog will be about Synovial Chondromatosis also known as Synoviochondrometaplasia. Let's start out by explaining the joint capsule. Almost every joint in the body has a surrounding capsule. This capsule is lined with synovial tissue which secretes synovial fluid (lubrication for your joints, basically). Synovial chondrometaplasia is a condition in which there is proliferation of the synovial lining. The synovial lining proliferation can then calcify and break off, leaving a loose body (note: see arrows in the elbow radiograph) in the joint capsule.


There are two forms of synovial chondrometaplasia: primary and secondary. Primary synovial chondrometaplasia has no known onset or causation while the secondary form is usually due to increased joint stress or previous onset of osteoarthritis. Not only are there two forms, but there is a separate classification for how involved the joint capsule is, which correlates to the surgical treatment. Surgical treatment can range from a simple loose body removal or a complete synovectomy where the synovial lining is removed. Chiropractic management includes ultrasound and joint mobilization that can involve adjustments.

3 comments:

  1. so, could running improperly be the cause of my synovial condromatosis of the hip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you get a complete synovectomy? I am 50, have already had one surgery to remove the synovial bodies/tumor (calcified to about the size of a small lemon on my knee), and it has returned. (whoopee.) However, aside from an unsightly soft mass sticking out of the side of my knee, and a slight feeling of 'awareness' where the tumor is, I have full range of motion and use of my knee. (granted, the tumor gets bigger if I excercise a lot...) My surgeon wants to do a complete synovectomy and I only want removal of the calcified bodies, be it by regular surgery or arthroscopy. Any advice? Pro/cons of the different surgical treatments?

    ReplyDelete